Saturday, March 7, 2009

When is it time to quit?

I attended a cow dog trial the other day with my 11 year old Heading dog. You could tell that the desire was there but the power was not. After the trial he was exhausted. He slept for a long time and any time he moved he moaned and groaned. He was hurting. He tried but the results were not there. It is time for him to retire. Now what?

My thinking is that I will use him to help me train my new pup. Contrary to what some dog experts say!!!!!!!, dogs learn from each other. If you have a well trained dog, it is a good way to start your pup. I usually let the pup out with an experience dog and after a few moments of disaster, the experienced dog will get things under control and the pup begins to watch .... it's magic. It sure speeds up the initial basic training.

I would be interested in any comments on this topic

No comments:

Post a Comment